Friday, June 30, 2006

"Out Of Africa" and Mozart's Music

I was listening to the second movement of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A Major, K.622 (among many other "romantic moments") one evening when I read Jade's blog entry Characters in Stories". I wasn't sure I understood what she tried to convey, but I recognized the last picture as Meryl Streep in "Out of Africa". What a coincidence! The Clarinet Concerto was featured in the movie. It is very gentle, compassionate, and melancholy. It melts into the movie so perfectly that I could almost believe that Mozart wrote it for a movie that came almost 200 years later.

Of course Mozart wrote it for someone else. This piece was Mozart's last complete instrumental work. It was commissioned by his friend Anton Stadler, the principal clarinetist in the Court orchestra in Vienna. Mozart wrote it in the autumn of 1791, two months before his death at the age of 35, thus this concerto is sometimes described as "autumnal", a "farewell to life". In fact, Mozart himself might not have known that his days were numbered. Only if he had lived longer, how many more masterpieces he would have composed!

The movie features other Mozart pieces including Piano Sonata in A Major, K.331 (Rondo Alla Turca), Sinfonia Concertante for violin, viola and orchestra, K364, and three Divertimenti K.136, 137, 138. To hear excerpts of Mozart's music, go to this BBC webpage. To learn more about Mozart, I recommend the Teaching Company's Great Masters: Mozart—His Life and Music by Prof. Robert Greenberg. You can find the audio book in your local public library.

So now the Clarinet Concerto sounds to me forever associated with the movie "Out of Africa". Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What do you think, North Lab? I know you have been reading my blog. Surprise, surprise! The technology that enabled you to find my blog also led me to the discovery of who my readers are. Here in this blog entry dated June 11 I explained how I found it out, and why I didn't announce my embarking on blogging at the beginning. For your convenience, here is the google translation of my original entry in Chinese. Please excuse the imperfect translation by a machine.

I wrote "Thank you, my friends" because I knew you guys are reading it!

The following is just some records of your access to my blog:

xx.xx.1.56 - - [25/May/2006:07:56:05 US/Eastern]
xx.xx.2.69 - - [26/May/2006:16:36:10 US/Eastern]

xx.xx.1.56 - - [02/Jul/2006:13:23:01 US/Eastern]
xx.xx.2.69 - - [02/Jul/2006:15:06:02 US/Eastern]

Haha!

3 comments:

allegro said...

有句话叫“道高一尺,魔高一丈".我在这里是道呢,还是魔?

不过这个结局还是比较好玩.看他们明天怎么办.问题是,他们能不能读到最后一段.

troubadour said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
allegro said...

恩,不好玩!小米同学又不见了!(因为是假日吗!更有可能是小关同学来了haha)北实验室只有小温同学傍晚的时候来这里瞄了一眼,不知道看了最后一段没,反正像个没事人似的。也许我们的心里素质都超级的好。

哎,又没有找对时机。以后记住不能在节假日干这种大事。

还有人要删评论。好在我都看到啦。