Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Dialogue between a Soccer Fan and a Soccer Ignorant

My 100th post, I dedicate it to the World Cup!

The following happened earlier today, between A Friend and me. A Friend OKed the publication of her views on my blog.


A: I agree with Milan, that it should not have been a penalty but should have been a yellow card for the Italians.
Sent at 6:55 PM on Tuesday
me: that's too bad. but the referees had to depend on what they saw in real time, not the replays. so maybe we should allow errors in their judgment?
Sent at 7:00 PM on Tuesday
A: well, in this world cup, it is always the shameless who wins, it is no longer about playing football, but about intrigue and cheating. If this is allowed to go on, football will lose its appeal
me: yes, that is true. but isn't this life? haven't you seen the ugly side of this world?
A: well, we chose a field where there is after all a little truth left, right?
at least truth is what we are looking to find out as scientists
it is at least not entirely about winning
me: yes. at least there is a way to test whether it is truth or not, by many other followers. but there is politics in science, too. don't forget that
A: i don't need a complete justice. If water is too clear, there's no fish...
but this world cup is too much...the referees are so dumb and the players are so cunning
me: right. sometimes we need the conflicts to make life more interesting
Sent at 7:06 PM on Tuesday
me: the only game i watched was one women's final between China and USA in LA. We lost.
i still don't know the rules
A: they are shameless, but not even close to any of the teams in this WC
Sent at 7:08 PM on Tuesday
me: this is only soccer. don't be too serious. that was what i learned after following last year's Super Girl. It's only entertainment
A: haha
we learn life from this, and we appreciate our career from this.
me: that's why we choose to remain in the ivory tower
A: but to tell you the truth, it is not that I do not know how to play dirty, I just don't care to do it
me: haha
A: but when it concerns people I like, such as van Basten,Beckham (1998) or the spanish team in 2002 I felt sad for them
me: i can't believe i am chatting with you about soccer, which i know nothing about
A: you don't need to know too much to appreciate the dirtiness of it
me: except maybe Beckham, but for his looks than his skill
A: in 1998 he was given a red card after Argentin player tricked him into it
me: that's shocking!
A: he had to carry all the guilt of England's elimination.
that was why I liked Beckham
I felt so sympathetic
me: hmm, now i feel i know him better
A: that is why I like van Basten too, his career was cut short because dirty italian defenders kicked him handicapped
me: what?
A: Well beckham has lost all his innocence nowadays
me: but he is very handsome
A: who?
me: van basten
A: well, when he was young he was not handsome at all.
but he was a fantastic player with very good sport ethics
me: this must be the glamor of a mature man
A: the intensity of a scorpio
me: oh, i don't believe in those horoscopes
A: Ha, but he is such a characteristic scorpio. He, Pele and Maradona are all scorpios. The greatest footballers of all times!
me: i see. btw, i think we are having a great chat on soccer. can i put it in my blog, to be my sole post on the Cup?
are you there?
A: ok
me: great!

On Holland-Portugal match:

me: from all i heard, Dutch did a good job, but lost. Maybe I am biased
A: well, dutch didn't do a good job
they fell into the trick of the Portugese immediately. According to
Alexi it is so funny that they would just fell into the trick
people like Alexi knows about a game even though he is not a dutch fan
the problem is that the dutch were not given an opportunity to play football.
the russian referee is very naive
me: haha


On CCTV sports announcer

A: while I thought Huang was good, he has proven himself to be the biggest fool
me: what a joke!

7 comments:

allegro said...

I used orange color in my introduction, to show my support to the Dutch team!

Anonymous said...

HaHa, it means you are actually Soccer Fan :)

allegro said...

No, I am a true soccer Ignorant. I know nothing about the rules; I know none of the soccer stars other than Beckham; and I care about no team. I supported the Dutch because I took sides with Milan.

Both Milan and A are very devoted soccer fans.

troubadour said...

I watched the China v. USA game at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena as well. We were sitting not too far from the end zone during the penalty kicks. It was clear as day that the American goalie stepped forward before the Chinese player contacted the ball. After the game, I had a huge outbreak of allergic reaction to my sunscreen. I had a fever and my entire body was covered with hives. My sister was so concerned she almost sent me to the emergency room, but I just wanted to sleep. We were all so exhausted after the game that we just went to bed without eating anything. I woke up the next morning without even a single red spot left. To this date, I think all those hives were brought on by stress and disappointment rather than by my sunscreen. The truth? We will never know. My sister threw the sunscreen in the first trash can after we got out of the game. Some things are easier to spot, like how an Italian player faked a fall; other things are not so easy to see through, like the back room dirty deals with the players, referees, or even the organizers: they are just like the mysterious sunscreen, nicely packaged in a shining tube, all fancy and grand, but capable of inducing the formation of thousands of red itching spots in less than half an hour. If we could only chuck them into a trash can…

troubadour said...

By the way, Huang Jian Xiang has definitely gone crazy…

allegro said...

Troubadour, your comment is very well said! I remeber I watched that final in a classroom next to my lab, and I was so disappointed at the last minute and I felt so lost. Yes, we love sports because it boasts as fair competition, yet we are sad to face the reality. But shouldn't we also notice that some of the dirtiness had been exposed, which means people do care?

allegro said...

Huang Jianxiang's commentary made me laugh hard. I didn't know who he was before, other than he had some affair with a Super Girl. Now I know who he is. So maybe it is not a bad thing that he shouted that commentary.