Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Joy of Printing


Columbines, Grand Teton National Park
Handheld, 1/15s


Many a night in a window-less room, where the only lights were a couple of faint red ones, I remember seeing images emerging from a tray of developer solution, ever so gradually yet decidedly. It felt like it suddenly opened a window to the world from that window-less darkroom. Be it a landscape picture, or a portrait of a loved one, it always gave one a mysterious feeling of how wonderful photography was. It was not just me. Other photographers told me that they loved this moment, too. That was why I enjoyed printing, the who process of making an image and improving it. Now we do most everything in a digital darkroom, but I still think I benefit a lot from my experience in a real one.


Grand Teton
I went to the same spot where Ansel Adams made his famous shot. The foreground trees had grown considerably taller.



Trees on a trail
那天下午我不自觉地做了一只大灯泡,对吧,Jade?

All photos taken on Kodak TriX 100. Printed on Kodak Multigrade paper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No you didn't.

allegro said...

谢谢你减轻了我的思想负担。