Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Words That Shocked Me

"At bottom, you see, we are not Homo sapiens at all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle."



"Mankind's intelligence finally trumped mankind's killer instinct, and reason came to rule over mankind's maddest impulses. That, too, was survival."


Excerpts from Stephen King's novel Cell. pp206, 207

This novel is a crazy story, but so far these are the most shocking words I've read (only half way through the book). I have to agree there is some sad truth in it.

想起前几天看王朔说他内心有无限的黑暗与光明。我读的肤浅,不知所云黑暗与光明是何意。Troubadour说,“we are our own angel and demon.”看来王朔和Stephen King有异曲同工之效。

2 comments:

Life Traveller said...

Agree. but do you agree? if so, what's demon in you?

allegro said...

I don't know. But I know there is a demon in me :(