Sunday, February 25, 2007

Crystallographer No More :(

Image borrowed from Wikipedia
Author: Thomas Splettstoesser


Today I disappointed myself (don't I do that everyday?). Our newcomer T came to me for help with his crystallography homework assignment after hearing that I was a crystallographer. I completely forgot how diffraction patterns are related to crystal lattices, or space groups, or how many asymmetric units there are in any unit cell of a space group. Suddenly I felt so inadequate as a PhD. After many years of training, and many years of not using the knowledge, I am no longer a crystallographer! It is embarrassing, and I feel really sorry to Profs. T, N, R, and P. So I brush up my geeky crystallography knowledge (with the help from wiki), and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to help T.

BTW, T's homework has a really pretty diffraction pattern: a tetragonal crystal's h0l, more regular and impressive-looking than this one.

No comments: