Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Painted Veil

The second film I saw on its opening day really impressed me. An unusual western love-after-marriage story set against the beautiful scenic backdrop of Southern China in the 1920s, 'The Painted Veil' emphasizes the emotional development of the main characters. In the end I saw that there was no lack of love between Walter and Kitty; what was lacking in the beginning was the discovery of it.

Unlike any other movies I went to, this time I waited and watched the end credit, and was glad to see China Loafer listed as a Cable Runner. His 'Crying Babies' is a very interesting blog entry.

By the way, the soundtrack features Lang Lang as the solo pianist. But I don't think it showcases his skills.

3 comments:

allegro said...

就在我跟J总结了我对《面纱》的看法(就是个先结婚后恋爱的故事吗),J立刻就google到了这么个影评:

http://www.gmw.cn/content/2006-12/29/content_529556.htm

看来我有成为著名影评家的潜质。

allegro said...

China Loafer认为,拍这个电影远远比电影本身有趣。

Anonymous said...

可是电影也很有趣呀。
But I just heard a different opinion--that Walter is too boring, intense...I guess not everyone likes bacteriologist.