Sunday, January 08, 2006

My Obsession with SuDoku


I upgraded my Mac to OS X Tiger after the New Year. It is a nicer operating system than the previous OS X. I really like the dashboard where I can have a lot of small programs open (such as weather forecast, a calculator, a calendar, etc.), while click them away in one second to go back to what I was doing. With the dashboard I discovered other widgets from Apple. I downloaded nucleic acid widget, entrez widget, and amino acid codon widget, to name a few. But the disaster began with the SuDoku widget.

SuDoku is a puzzle where you have a grid of 9x9, subdivided into nine 3x3 boxes. You need to fill in the blank spaces in the grid so that every row, every column, and every 3x3 box contains the digits 1 through 9. It sounds simple, but it is actually quite hard, if you don’t know any tricks. And, worst of all, it is addictive! I have been playing SuDoku a lot in the past few days, and I am quite disappointed at seeing how slow I am solving this kind of puzzle. So then I play more, and more, and more. Unfortunately I am still quite slow. It is really frustrating.

There should always be a limit to everything. I have decided that I cannot play SuDoku like this anymore. I shall ban it, or at least limit it to one puzzle a day.

Don’t fall into it like I did.

No comments: