Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Crazy Experiment

E accidentally spilled orange juice on her AT&T LG cell phone. The phone was not happy after that: basically it refused to turn on. Thinking that they have nothing more to lose, C and E decided to soak the phone in the purest water they can find, Milli Q water. Their reason: water might be able to remove the juice from the phone and thus fix it. However, M was critical about that reasoning. He thought the acidity of the OJ had already killed the circuit. I am curious and doubtful as whether this would work at all. After all, my friend X lost her phone after it had a brief accidental bath in water.

Do you think C and E's experiment will work or not?

I will provide an answer if I get enough feedback on this post.

Now to prove that THE phone was really soaked in water:

E retrieving the phone from water as C, M, and A look on:

The serial number on the phone (notice water drops on the phone):
C and E are smart as they only soaked the phone but not the battery or the SIM card.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long had they soaked it?
Just soak it? Did they use ultrasonic waves?

allegro said...

The phone was soaked in Milli Q water for about 10 minutes at room temperature. No ultrasound or anything else was involved. Not sure how C and E dried the phone. I suggested giving it a good spray of 70% ethanol and then leave it in a warm room. I doubt they did that.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't sound it would work.
I can make a guess who C and E are, but who is A?

allegro said...

Why are there so few comments? I have to wait a little longer to give my answer :(

Anonymous said...

I don't think it can be repaired by the experiment.
The reason is not the juice in the phone, but the destory of short circuit by the juice.