Monday, August 13, 2007

Stargazing Last Week

It was confirmed today that the shining, fast-moving celestial object I saw last Wednesday or Thursday night was a Perseid meteor. The criteria:

1) It was heading south from north by north-east.
2) It was too fast to be an airplane.
3) It was too bright to be International Space Station (I don't even know where its orbit is).

So even though I was too tired to gaze last night (its peak time), I still saw the meteor shower, just in that 30 seconds I happened to be looking :) With this luck, I should go and buy lottery.

Last Saturday, I also saw the Milky Way with naked eyes, and many many more stars than any star chart could show. I remember that I was more than once told the story of Vega (织女) and Altair (牛郎), and Deneb (鹊桥). The thing was, I never really learned those stars until recently. But they are really prominent in the sky. They make a great Summer Triangle.