Saturday, November 11, 2006

'One Dog' Policy

Yes, you guessed it right: this is a policy of Chinese characteristic. Authorities in Beijing announced this one-dog-per-household policy as part of an effort to eradicate rabies. I have no intention to make fun of this policy, but I don't think it deals with the root of the problem. Currently only 3% of dogs in China are vaccinated against rabies. I don't see how limiting the number of dogs a family can have will help eradicating rabies if we don't focus on vaccination.

Dogs just don't get cherished enough in China. Earlier this summer I read news about mass dog killings as an attempt to put rabies under control. One county killed 50,000 dogs in one month. I saw pictures of a dog being beaten to death in front of its owner. It was so cruel, inhumane, shocking and disgusting. I tried to make myself believe that I never saw those pictures and it never happened. But I couldn't help thinking: who is more dangerous, we human or dogs.

I simply do not understand how the policy makers would be so naive in making such a clueless policy. Even a high school student can see where the problem is. Often times if a dog is problematic, the owner is the one to blame. I believe education of dog owners and dog vaccination are the way to go. But who am I to the authorities?

I may need to become a famous dog whisperer first.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this policy also bans large dogs (taller than 35cm or 14in). That means Radar, a Vizsla (Hungarian hunting dog), will not be allowed in Beijing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

国内人和人治的问题很严重

allegro said...

谁能为中国的狗争“狗权“呢?它们也是生命啊!

Anonymous said...

感谢主人对我们同胞的关心。

今年是狗年,新年到来时,大家都互祝狗年汪汪。而如今到处听到我同胞的悲鸣。

余悲之,特在此

1.敬请著名法学家troubadour起草一部《狗权法》,为我们同胞的基本权利提供法律保障。

2.倡议在联合国成立一个狗权委员会,对世界各地违反狗权的行为给予谴责或制裁。对集体捕杀者,以种族灭绝罪论处。

3.向世界卫生组织提议,号召科学家们加强对我类疾病(尤其狂犬病)治疗的研究,为我们同胞免受疾病之苦。

最后祝人类和我的同胞们都幸福平安!


Radar

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of the doggie problems are caused by dog owners. Some of the dog owners only enjoy the fun dogs bring them, but do not fulfill the responsibilities come with being a dog owner - getting the shot, obeying the leash rule, let dog drop their goodies anywhere at will and not clean up afterward. Unfortunately, dogs become the unlucky target from the victims of these dog owners' irresponsibility.