Monday, September 04, 2006

How Much Does a Musician Make?

That was my question to Milos when we were at a (free, thanks to Jenny and BSO) BSO concert last year. Apparently they don't make much. Some of them even work a second job to make enough money for a decent living. That sounded so dread to me. Much like us scientists (at least us students and postdocs), musicians devote their whole life to what they really love, yet they don't get paid well. That saddened me, especially when I was enjoying the music they were making.

Then I read in last Friday's NY Times that BSO's musicians have ratified a contract giving them a 13.6% salary raise over three years, to a minimum salaray of $128,180 in the 2008-9 season. The musicians of the Cleveland Orchestra also ratified a 10.5% raise over three years, to a minimum of $115,440.

Well, that sounds like good news to me. At least they are making relatively good money. But these are two of the five most famous symphonies in this country. What about musicians in less renowned music groups? They probably really have to toil (like us poor students and postdocs) to make ends meet.

No comments: