Monday, April 17, 2006

Yundi Li in Concert


I went to Yundi Li’s recital at Jordan Hall last Saturday thinking of comparing him to Lang Lang, whose recital last year at the Symphony Hall really impressed me. Half way through Yundi’s playing, I knew that I had also become his fan. Sitting on the left balcony I could see clearly how his fingers had been flying all over the keyboard playing Mozart, Schumann, Liszt, and Chopin. I have no word to describe his technique except to say, “Fantastic! Amazing! Unbelievable!” Being at best a music dilettante, I am in no position to tell the difference of his playing and Lang Lang’s, other than that both are marvelous. Not being able to see his face during the concert (the price you pay if you want to see his hands), I also could not tell whether he was as flamboyant as Lang Lang (most probably not), but their smiles at the end were all the same, from the bottom of their hearts.

OK, I am getting tired hearing people comparing these two excellent young Chinese pianists (though I myself had been doing that only days ago). I simply love them both! They are now my idols of equal importance. I will support them through their careers.



The Stage Minutes Before Recital



Receiving Applause After Schumann's Carnaval


Playing Encore, A Chinese Piece
Who got the name?


CD Signing

Well, there is one thing to complain about Yundi. That is he did not allow fans taking pictures with him. Of course this expedited his CD signing and let him take a break from an already long day, but I felt that his PR probably could have done a little bit better, not to make him look like escaping from his enthusiastic fans (mostly young ladies in this picture :-)).


我的摄影水平快赶上娱乐记者,俗称"狗仔队"了。

1 comment:

Lin Wang said...

Hi, we were in the same concert!

Nice to read your blog