Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I wrote about Lang Lang Last Year

Lang Lang Playing His Third Encore


I went to Lang Lang's recital in Boston in March 2005. That was pre-blog era. I wrote about his concert in emails I sent to friends. I'm now posting it here. I didn't have my telephoto lens with me, and I was only shooting JPEG. Photo qualities were not optimal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Wednesday I went to Lang Lang's piano recital at the Symphony
Hall and I had a great time. Though I had seen Lang Lang's performance
in the Mostly Mozart Festival on TV some 20 months ago and marveled at
his most expressive playing, it was still very exciting to see him
live on stage in Boston. It was a sold-out performance and 10 minutes
before the show people were still waiting in long lines outside the
Hall. The recital was about 2 hours long and after the very first few
notes of Mozart's piano sonata in C Major, Lang Lang had already
grasped everyone's attention with the elegant and delicate music. In
this recital, Lang Lang showed the audience that he could do anything
with the piano, as delicate as Mozart, or passionate as Chopin, or
romantic as Schumann, or technically difficult as Rochmaninoff and
Liszt. I really liked his playing (or shall we say, Horowitz's
transcription) of Lizst's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. It was witty,
mischievous, humorous, and joyful. He received standing ovations from
the audience and had to play three encores. The first one he played
was a Chinese piece 平湖秋月 and was well received by the audience (at
least 90% American by my estimation). After the recital, just like
hundreds of other fans, I bought his CD and waited in line to get his
autograph. He also posed with us for photos. With his tender age of
22, he looked no other than just a big boy, yet his achievement made
my friends and me wonder what we had done with our lives. We all
agreed that he was very cute. Oh well, I have to say, that I might
have found my new idol after Faye Wong ceased to be some 5 years ago.
I highly recommend his performance if he happens to tour your city one
day.



Modern Technology and a Happy Young Fan



The CD Jacket With Lang Lang's Autograph
I can't find it anywhere. Had anyone borrowed it from me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Certainly not me.