Sunday, February 12, 2006

This Winter

This season has been quite mild since the beginning. The jet stream mainly stayed in Canada and the warm air from the south made the past January the 4th warmest in New England since weather records were kept some 130 years ago. Of course this is nothing to complain, and I really enjoyed days with temperature in the 50s. I only hope that this post is not going to jinx our luck for a nice winter.




This is in my front yard on Jan. 21. Hyacinths and daffodils sensed spring. They couldn’t wait till April.



Inside, this plant bloomed for the first time (since I knew it).



Only two days later that Monday, I woke up to six inches of snow. It took me 30 minutes to shovel my car, and I barely got out my parking spot after the tires lost grip for a minute or two. It was 11am already and roads had not been plowed yet. The city was not prepared for the storm at all. It was really hard to drive. On my commute I saw one car accident (collision), two trucks got stuck on the low-clearance Storrow Drive (this happens a lot! Drivers just don’t pay attention to traffic signs). I only felt lucky when I arrived at my destination without any mishap.

After another stretch of warm days and a colder week, we are now in winter again. Last night all the roads were spayed with salt, and plows were mobilized. A foot of snow was predicted for today with blizzard conditions. It seems a perfect day to stay home.



This city emergency worker came around my neighborhood every 10 minutes to plow the road.

I am not looking forward to the shoveling I have to do tonight when the snow ends. One thing I am sure about is that I will have a good workout from that.

No comments: