Monday, November 28, 2005

Pumpkin Buns 南瓜饼


I have wanted to make these pumpkin buns for at least a month now because they look so happy and so fit for autumn. Finally I made them for my friend's small gathering last Saturday. It took me more than two hours in total to make these 8 buns, and that was really unexpectedly long. However, I was really glad that they were well received by the hosts and guests. My little friend, Emma, probably gave me the most unique approval, though at 14-months of age, her vocabulary is only limited to "" and "不要". She first started by licking the outside of the bun; then she licked the red bean paste inside and ate that. In the end, she was taking big bites of the sticky flour skin and the filling altogether. She said no words, but I knew she really liked it.

Here is the recipe in case you want to try it in your kitchen (note: the amounts are only my guesses):

pumpkin: 1/2 pound
sticky rice flour: 1 pound
sugar: ½ cup
red bean paste: 1/2 pound

Microwave or steam the pumpkin until it's well done. I think steaming might be better. I had to microwave it forever.

Remove the skin. Chop/blend (or use whatever method you like) to mash the cooked pumpkin. Make sure not to add water to it (it's wet enough!).

Add 1/2 cup of sugar (add more it you have a sweet tooth), and 2 cups or more sticky rice flour. Mix well with the mashed pumpkin. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky to your hands. Divide the dough into 2, 4, 8, or 16 (or more) smaller pieces. Make a small circular wrap with a piece of dough, and wrap some red bean paste inside to make a bun. Use a knife to make the shallow incisions so that the bun resembles a pumpkin. Steam for 5 to 8 minutes.

Devour.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very delicious!! I wish we lived closer so I can share your food again.

Tiffany's Mom

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this is one of the reasons that I missed Boston. If Sophia were there, she would have said "Hai Yao".

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including the recipe. I will try it sometime for Jasmine and Olivia. Miss you all there.