Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Ultimate Devotion

"I need to collect some samples!"

This was the dying words of a mortally wounded scientist when she saw the abundant biofluorescent species while being carried into the jungle for a desperate attempt to save her life. That was the only moment the whole audience laughed out loud when I saw the movie Avatar. I was annoyed by the obvious cliche and stereotyping which in effect ridiculed the dedication of the devoted scientist. But then again, just like the plot of the whole story, are we really expecting something more ingenious in the script?

Finally I realized why I seldom go to movies. The reason: I do not get my money's worth of entertainment, because I inevitably fall asleep in a movie theater no matter what is showing! Even the imaginative, visually stunning, action-packed 3D Avatar wouldn't keep me awake for the whole time. I fell asleep right after Jake conquered the dragon-like creature (how come I felt that the forced bonding between him and the creature was as distasteful as a rape?) and flew side by side with Neytiri. When I finally regained consciousness, they were already sleeping together and now it was him who couldn't wake up while her jungle was being destroyed by human beings. Can somebody tell me how much I have missed?

Now I remember that I also fell asleep during the only other 2 movies I saw in 2009 in a movie theater: Up in 3D, and Harry Potter. That makes 3 out of 3. What's wrong with me? Maybe I should just watch DVDs, because I can always go back and watch it again.

1 comment:

Albatross said...

it's not your fault, they are all boring movies.