Thursday, July 31, 2008

Capitol Reef National Park and Route 24

Few people visit Capitol Reef National Park. I think that is only because it is located in the middle of nowhere. Its scenery is as breathtaking as the other 4 NPs in Utah.

View on Route 24.
A gooseneck. 28mm is not wide enough for it.
Castle Rock at the entrance to the Scenic Drive.
On the Scenic Drive. Capitol Reef is big, but there is only a 9-mile paved road to go inside the park. You pay your $5 fee in an envelope and then drop that into a box. No one is stationed there to collect your fee in person.
Interesting rock formations.


Doesn't this look like a painting of one's face?
Very dry climate. Clouds were gathering, but it never rained that day.




Driving back towards the entrance. Trees appeared where there was water.
A barn.
Trees. There are orchards at Capitol Reef where you can pick fruits. Apparently they were not in season yet.
Mormon's one-room school. It is more than 100 years old.
Indian's petroglyphs.
River. There is a 1-mile trail starting from here that goes to a natural bridge. It was a hot day, and an Indian couple who had just returned warned me to bring lots of water if I go. Because I'd visit Natural Bridges NM later, I opted not to take this hike. The white colored dome in the background might be the one which gives this NP its name (the US Capitol is white).
Rock formation on road to Waterpocket Fold. I wanted to see this 100-mile-long gigantic fold on earth so I set out to drive down there. However, about 50 feet into the unpaved road I turned around: I was already convinced neither my rental or me would survive the bumpy ride.
Route 24 outside Capitol Reef. Exposed were completely different sedimentations.

Threatening sky.
Rocks. They have cute names. One is called 'Prairie Dog', not sure whether it's the one on the right.

No comments: