Friday, February 01, 2008

The Kite Runner

Recently I have finished listening to the audio book narrated by the author Khaled Hosseini. The Kite Runner is a moving story about friendship, betrayal, and atonement, with a lot of twists and turns, unexpected, yet somehow not too surprising. The story was set against the backdrop of the turmoil political movements of Afghanistan from the 1970s to 2001. In the book I saw the weakness of human nature, the sadness of destined fate, the unspeakable sufferings and terror, and most importantly, the courage to undo the wrong, and the yearning for a better future. I like the ending, uncertain yet hopeful. And I also hope I could do what Amir had done, to overcome the cowardice in me to become a really courageous and brave person.

OK, now on the light side. I do believe this is a small world, and six degrees of separation does hold true. For example, the author Khaled Hosseini is Troubadour's new colleague's cousin, and Troubadour's new colleague took a semester off from law school to participate in the movie production in Kashgar (喀什), China.

No comments: