Saturday, September 17, 2005

Four Hours in New York City

My last post made me look kind of small. It seemed that I only worried about gas price that directly affected me when such a severe natural disaster had brought so much misery to the poor people down south. At the time when I wrote it, no one knew exactly how bad the situation was in New Orleans. Since then we saw how people suffered in the following days in a trapped city. My sympathy went to them.

I have been too busy recently to post anything. Last week I went to a science conference in Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. On my way back to Boston, I took a detour to NYC and spent 4 hours there. I walked in Central Park and on the 5th Avenue. New York is a busy city. There were a lot of people in Central Park, participating in all sorts of activities: sun bathing, dancing, jogging, drawing, sightseeing, and dog-walking.



People enjoying the afternoon sun on the Great Lawn in Central Park. The guy on left was looking up at something in the sky and it was:




Writings in the sky. Five small airplanes had been circling the city and writing advertisements in the sky. Unfortunately the writings dissipate very quickly, but I did see that one ad was for GEICO, an insurance company.



Again, Central Park, the Great Lawn. I am on the observatory, looking towards northeast.



Abercrombie & Fitch Store, Fifth Avenue. It’s under renovation. But the door in that place???



Fashion of (not sure about the store name). Definitely fashion of money. I couldn't get rid of the reflection on the window even with a circular polarizer filter!



Cathedral of St. Patrick’s, interior. People are arriving for Mass. Oops, didn't hold my camera absolutely horizontal.




Cathedral of St. Patrick’s, painted window

No comments: