Friday, July 24, 2009

Monument Valley - Independence Day 2008

The first sight of Monument Valley from Route 163 was breathtaking, and unmistakable.


Unfortunately when I arrived, it was mostly cloudy.
The signature view with two mittens, all in shadow.

The dirt road in the valley was a challenge to my driving skills. I never went above 5mph.

Three Sisters



The sun cast rays on red rocks.



I didn't wait to see sunset at Monument Valley, because I still had 80 miles to go to Page. On the road, strange rock formations, such as the next two, kept on popping up.



It had been a long July 4th, from the Butler Wash Indian ruins, to the Natural Bridges, to the Goosenecks, Mexican Hat, and Monument Valley. It didn't end until I saw a beautiful sunset on a most straight stretch of Route 98, and a spectacular fireworks display in Page, seen just out side of the Chinese restaurant right after I devoured a not-so-good buffet.

No comments: